215 East Market Street, Bolivar, TN 38008
The Pillars & The Little Courthouse
Hardeman County APTA
P.O. Box 148
Bolivar, TN 38008
Ken Savage at 731-518-7148
Learn more about our history in Hardeman County
You can get the answers on every 2nd and 4th Saturday
at The Little Courthouse Museum!
Visit the Polk Family Cemetery
Re-enactors telling what their lives were like years ago.
Hardeman County Veterans
WWII through the Korean Conflict
"A Tasting-Kitchen and Home Tour 2010"
May 15, 2010 from 10:00 am untill 5:00 pm.
Cookbooks will be on sale for a 10% discount that day only!
Call 731-518-7148 for discounts on seniors and tour groups!
Sponsored by HCAPTA
See Home Page for more information.
African American Veterans
Featured in the museum's annual Black History Exhibit February 13, - 27, 2010
The entire exhibit will be on display through Memorial Day, May 31, 2010.
and the Chair
In any true southern home you will always hear: Come in and sit a spell. It is the southern way - to invite guests in to sit and visit. It probably dates back to early days when farms and plantations were isolated, news of friends and the world was scarce. After traveling long distances, news was welcome and refreshments were a necessary courtesy. The most gracious of southern traditions still exists, the custom of hospitality. And, a place to sit is essential.
The chair exhibit features a gothic chair owned by Jefferson Davis, and early Morris Chair (recliner), chairs dating to the early 1800s, a chair owned by James Robertson of Middle Tennessee, and a collection of miniatures and children's chairs.
Included in The Historic Bolivar Home Tour Tickets!
Antique Chair Exhibit begins April through June 2009.
$5.00 for Adults and $2.00 for Children, or a donation.
Children in school groups are free.
Hours: Every second and forth Saturday of the month from 10:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.
School groups during the week by appointment-call
Black History at The Little Courthouse 2009
Appointments for special tours may be made-
Map to The Little Courthouse
Click on the MAP and you can get driving directions
from where you live!
At the Little Courthouse Museum, 215 Market Street East, 2 blocks from Courthouse Square
Bolivar, Hardeman County TN February 14 March 7, 2009
Hours: Saturdays 10:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.
School groups during the week by appointment.
Phone: Cissye Pierce at
Schedule Special Tours
or for more information...
History of The Little Courthouse . . .
Hardeman county was one of the counties formed in 1823 from the Chickasaw Indian Territory purchased in 1818. The county was named after Thomas Jones Hardeman, early settler and the first county clerk. Hatchie Town on the Hatchie River was later moved to higher ground. In 1823 the town name was changed to Bolivar honoring the South American liberator, General Simon Bolivar.
The county seat was established in Bolivar and a courthouse was built in 1824. This two story 20 foot by 30 foot log building contained a courtroom downstairs and a jail room above. Within two years it was evident that more room was needed. When the new courthouse was built in 1827 the log courthouse was moved several blocks down East Market Street. During the Civil War the union Army burned the 1827 brick county courthouse. Citizens were given time to remove records and artifacts which until the third county courthouse was built in 1868. That building was enlarged and updated in the 1950's and is still in use by the Hardeman County Courts.
The 1824 log courthouse became the nucleus of a home for the Levi Joy family. Next, Judge Barry purchased the log building house. In 1849 his widow sold the house to Dr. Thomas E. Moore. He made extensive additions including painted weatherboard siding, shutters and additional rooms. His family resided in the house for over 100 years. The descendants of his granddaughter, Miss Jennie Hardaway, sold the house to the county in 1967.
The group of historical minded citizens restored the building. The authentic early original interiors have been returned to the old logs. The courtroom is furnished with benches and chairs from the early days of the third courthouse. currently the Little Courthouse is leased to APTA and managed by volunteers. Docents are available to tell the story of Hardeman County and it's historic artifacts.
Points Of Interest . . . The Bolivar historic district features examples of early architecture. There are 118 buildings on the historical register, including The Pillars, The Columns, McNeal Place, St. James Chapel, the Presbyterian Church, Magnolia Manor, Levi Joy House and the Little Courthouse Museum.
The Hardeman County Fairgrounds and Arena are located west of Bolivar. The fair sponsors many events, including circuses, mud derbies, demolition derbies and the Hardeman County Fair itself. The arena hosts IPRA-sanctioned rodeos, as well as calf ropings and cow pennings.
Hatchie River is a designated scenic river which runs across the county, offering a hunter's and fisherman's paradise. More than 20 watershed lakes, ranging in size from 10 to 78 acres each, have been constructed and stocked with game fish.
Country Cabin Museum
Click picture above for link!
Also in the area are Ames Plantation, Shiloh National Military Park, Chickasaw State Park, National Bird Dog Museum.
Please contact us if you see any errors on this site.
Errors or changes should be addressed to the